Responsibility / Community
With a local presence throughout Australia and in conjunction with the geographical footprint over which we service our clients and deliver our projects, we maintain a connection with local community that embodies SPA.
Our procurement is driven by local participation and working as a team with our local suppliers is who we are, and how our business model has always operated.
The opportunities we are afforded throughout urban, regional and rural communities enable us to support a diverse cross section of organisations and initiatives. This can range from donations, sponsorship, in kind contribution or participation.
SPA is committed to providing opportunities for indigenous people, including Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander persons, through direct employment and procurement opportunities.
This commitment is demonstrated by having a targeted approach to improving indigenous participation outcomes at SPA, and by understanding our performance obligations to community and clients regarding indigenous participation.
SPA is committed to promotion of the following principles:
- Providing Indigenous people with access to employment and career development opportunities at SPA through processes which encourage Indigenous employees
- Respecting and learning about Indigenous culture and people, and the importance of indigenous participation in achieving the company goals and objectives
- Actively engaging and procuring the goods and services of indigenous businesses for SPA facilities and projects
- Forming long-term relationships with indigenous communities and businesses
- Recognising the rights of indigenous employees and suppliers to be provided a workplace that is culturally safe and is free of harm
Industry and Peak Body Engagement
As an industry leader and innovator, we actively engage through membership, participation or support of a number of peak bodies and industry organisations.
A primary example is our long term lead role within the creation and development of AustStab, the Australian Pavement Recycling and Stabilisation Association. SPA has long held senior leadership roles within AustStab and maintains an unparalleled resource commitment through voluntary contribution towards working groups, projects and ongoing educational initiatives.
We are members of the following organisations:
- AustStab Pavement Recycling and Stabilisation Association
- Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia (including state divisions)
- Australian Flexible Pavements Association (AfPA)
- Civil Contractors Federation (Vic and Tas)
- Central Coast Sustainability Association
- Municipal Works Operations Association (Vic)
- WA Local Government Association
- Queensland Resources Council
In addition we are supporters of the following organisations:
- Special Children’s Christmas Party
- RU OK?
- Cancer Council – Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea
- Lindisfarne Football Club
- Hobart Gymnastics Academy
- Normanton Bowls Club
- Normanton Rodeo
- Normanton Sprint Races
- Gosford Rotary Club
This commitment aligns with the promotion of our key sustainability principles comprising of people, the environment and surrounds, relationships and financial wellbeing.
Diversity and Inclusion